OBU football tripped up against Northwestern

Kervy Robles / The Bison 

Jordyn Woodward, Assistant Sports Editor

The Bison fell to Northwestern Oklahoma State University 55-42  Saturday at the Crain Family Stadium.

The Bison matched up against the Rangers and came out hot in the first quarter, but OBU met their demise when they allowed four touchdowns in the third quarter.

The Bison finished with 475 offensive yards, 169 passing yards and 306 yard rushing.

The Bison had a strong first quarter, scoring three touchdowns to Northwestern’s one.

Just two minutes into the game, running back Stephan Turner scored on a five-yard pass from quarterback Dezmond Stegall and kicker Trey Tully added to the PAT (point after touchdown) to put the score 7-0.

The following two touchdowns were made by defensive backs Josh Pettijohn on a 36-yard pass and D’Ante Meeking on a 60-yard interception to put the score 21-0 with seven minutes left in the first.

The Rangers retaliated with a touchdown on a 66-yard run, closing the gap 7-21 at the end of the first quarter.

The second quarter saw two touchdowns from the Rangers and a 6-yard touchdown pass from Stegall to running back Frankie Edwards to put OBU up by a touchdown at half.

The Bison struggled in the third quarter, handing their lead over to Northwestern on four consecutive touchdowns.

The Rangers scored on a 29-yard pass in one play, a 19-yard pass in nine plays, an 11-yard pass in four plays and a 21-yard pass in 8 plays.

OBU fought back, scoring on a 64-yard run by Isaiah Mallory to put OBU down 48-35 going into the fourth.

The fourth quarter opened with another touchdown by Northwestern on a 25-yard pass.

OBU answered with a touchdown on a 17-yard run by Stegall with 9:38 left in the game.

Stegall threw a total of three touchdown passes, ran for another, and was 16 of 29 with one tipped interception and 169 yards.

“This season isn’t over,” Spess said.

Mallory rushed for 182 yards, Pettijohn led the receivers with 50 yards, Edwards had four receptions for 34 yards and Tully was good on all six of his extra point kicks.

In his first game back from a long injury, Phillip Spess led the defense with 11 tackles.

Linebacker Brynden Pitzer followed with eight tackles and two for loss, and defensive line Dennis Nguyen had a sack.

“It was tough to sit back and watch the past three weeks,” Spess said. “It felt great being back out there with my team.”

Though the Bison have been defeated the last three weeks, they are not done fighting.

“I want Bison fans and Bison supporters to know that we aren’t done for year,” Spess said.

“The season isn’t over. This team is special we are committed to turn this program around. Everyone is bought in and focused on going 1-0 each week.”

OBU football posses a 2-5 record in the 2016.

The Bison will compete against Southwestern Oklahoma State University Thursday night at 6 p.m. Weatherford.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: